Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Things We Learn About BMW M


Autoblog goes into short detail about the six things they learned about BMW's M division but I'm going to sum them up right here. The following is my summary of the interview with Albert Biermann, BMW's head of Product Development for BMW M. Now let's begin:

1. Where's the Z4M?
A. Oh, well, we really want to but the dollars just don't allow us to have the balls enough to produce any incredibly awesome, M powered coupes.

2. What about weight?
A. We don't care about weight, we make magic. Did you see a sign outside that said Lotus?

3. Will we see an all electric M?
A. In short. Yes. ~ Okay, that's pretty awesome actually.

4. What's the final word on the all wheel drive M5?
A. Not needed you crazy American.

5. Where's the M5 wagon?
A. Did you miss my answer to number 1? Insert wagon for coupe.

6. When do we get a manual M5?
A. Grumble..grumble..grumble...Next year as promised. You know, it cost me a lot of money to design a manual transmission to transfer this thing called torque for you lazy, non performance minded, I need to shift my own gears, Americans. Oh, but you are still paying the bills so it's all good.

Ok, so as you can tell, I made up my own version of the condensed answers. No need for panty twisting. Just poking a little fun at the answers given. If you don't like mine, the real ones are obviously available. I was glad to see Autoblog asking some of the right questions. Read into it what you will but you may find that my versions of the answers may not be far from the truth. Proud to see that somewhere in this world there really is some awesome still being spread around a large group of models. Times have changed and so have the M cars. Just get with the times if you can't let the e30 go. M cars have always astounded me and will not let myself go without driving one or many. But before I dive too deep into that, let's take a look at my outlook on all of the answers and questions.

1. I see some genuine interest here but the public has to demand it. Otherwise it's no clown shoe for us ever again. That's a sad future indeed.

2. Meh, like I said, the M cars produce magic, as a matter of fact, I think that's actually what it stands for. Look at the X6M, it shouldn't be fast, agile or able to produce the results it does. But it does. Just like Joe Dirt's dad said.

3. Awesome. Ready for more Tesla like fun in a more useful package.

4. Nothin' says lovin' like some rear wheel drift!

5. Seriously, there just isn't any money in it. I want it too.

6. Not sure if serious. No, I'm not kidding. I don't know if this is some kind of criticism to be taken to heart or just light heartedly. Now, he was specific to the M5 at least, in the interview so maybe that's more of their line of thinking. I am doubting it. Either way, I'm glad the new M5 will be both RWD and manual optioned.

Most of the focus was on the new M5, which is debatable right now as to how utterly awesome it will be with it's audio infused engine sounds. But I certainly look forward to another AMG fighter.

Speaking of AMG, I don't want anyone to think I'm not interested or respectful of the new sequential manuals. I am. They are faster, more fluid and overall the better transmission. Hell, they are even fun when the car has enough power and not um-teen gears. But a drivers car, tends to be a manual one. Where making a mistake, learning how to rev-match, heel-toe. It's a skill that is learned and respected. Yeah, I get why most race series have gone sequential, it's just competitive and accurate. But these are race cars, not ones that you race on Sunday and drive to work on Monday. They are dedicated race cars. They don't need essence, they need speed.

So according to Al, I'll take my dumb driving self and take the little dumb one since they only offer it in a manual. Because there is a purity there that is missed with a sequence box. One with errors and mistakes because we just can't put our entire lives in the hands of perfection every time. But if you really have to, BMW makes one of the worlds best gear boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment