Monday, July 29, 2013

What is LOVE?! Baby just drive me..just drive me..some-more.

So what's on my mind today or tonight if you will is value. You see, Jalopnik recently ran an article about the new 2013 BMW 320i and how top properly order yours with maximum fun checked on the boxes. The ZPS and ZMT options give you the M Sport package and a manual transmission. You even get sports seats that, if they are anything like my old 335i, are able to keep that ass firmly planted, but with comfort.

Point being that BMW really is trying to give back to the enthusiast. Even though I couldn't find a single 320i or 328i with a manual transmission in all of DFW, I still like to think that some where in the engineering and marketing dept. at BMW someone really is thinking of the little guy. You know, the ones that really got the word out that BMW was worth a damn. The reason they may be who they are now...

Enough rant, lets get on with things.

This really got me thinking about value. I won't lie, I built a 320i for about the $34k, probably about $31 or $32k at the dealer. This kind of sounds sweet! So I thought. But where the hell have I been? I mean, I've owned a BMW before and I loved it but I payed for the ownership experience. So why am I so smitten? Like everyone else, including my wife, we love the way they drive. But really? For a small four cylinder car I am really giving BMW a lot of credit here to pay that kind of clam for such a sweet little box.

Okay, back to reality. Not only am I a fan of the big German boys, but I am an even bigger fan of American V8 powaaahhhh! So I thought what's hot right now? Mustang. So what did I do, I priced a 2014 track pack car with Recaro seats for, what's this, just about ten dollars more than the dainty 320i.

WHOA.

Oh God, here comes the flood of random cars that could be bought at that price. Subaru WRX, Scion FR-S and some tires and wheels and stuff...I'm sure I could go on into fanboy heaven and back. My point was merely that sometimes it's still a tough choice to say what it is exactly we are looking for in a fun car. I would love to hear a V8 burble every day I go to work. I dream about it at night and I want it in the morning.

For some reason it still doesn't completely kill the idea of something great from the creator of the worlds greatest driving machines, even if it is a "lesser" model. I too can subscribe to the homage of slow car fast > fast car slow. Now the real question is: Is it good enough? I don't know the answer to that. Maybe I should find out. Maybe it is a true homage to the BMW of old. The car we thought had been lost.

Even though I disagree that BMW was lost, they seem to have found some roots again. Which is a great thing and it would be great to do some campfire sessions with the best of the BMW CCA during this time.

For me, I'd just have to test drive it. Maybe I will...if I can find one! For now though, I have to say, if I had to choose, it'd be the Mustang GT every time. I mean, we're talking about a car that goes head to head with the world famous M3 and does it for an entire GT's cost less.

So while the 320i might be a BMW bargain, it's tough to beat, what goes for about $31k at a good dealer, with such presence and umph. I know that to each there own and on both sides of this argument the flame wars could go on forever about BMW drivers never driving the child's toy and a Mustang driver driving some uppity, yuppy wagon. For the fringe enthusiast, I say it's up to you to decide.

With that said, maybe I'll press on and try to get some seat time. Looks like I could use a test drive. Maybe that Scion too. Weird to even mention them in the same thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment